Shoup

 
I love Cream of Mushroom soup. Not the super-homogenized stuff that you get in a can, but the made-from-real-mushrooms-and-cream kind that you have with a good steak - aromatic, full of umami, and warming all the way through. And, if you add some cubes, psychedelic as hell. The soup freezes perfectly, and its psychedelic quality is maintained with no apparent loss of potency. 

Because I wanted to have dose control, I made a batch of regular Cream of Portobello soup, and then dosed a measured portion of it. I started out with this basic recipe for the main kettle: 

half a pound of good butter; I use Kerrygold. You taste it in this.
three pounds of baby portobello mushrooms, rough chopped. Regular white mushrooms are also fine, but the color is a little more appealing with the baby bellas.
2 onions, chopped
about half a fist of garlic, run through the press
a quart of beef stock
a quart of whole cream
dried thyme - probably a tablespoon, but I just add until it tastes right
black pepper - probably two teaspoons, but also to taste
enough salt, which was probably a teaspoon or maybe one and a half, but kind of depends on the saltiness of the stock. It's easy to over-salt this; it's a good idea to leave it slightly under-salted, and adjust it when you serve it.
just a little bit of xanthan gum, because I wanted a bit more thick consistency
two scoops (I think they're a two-teaspoon scoop? Whatever is in the jar) of beef gelatin powder



Sauté the onions in the butter in a BIG kettle, then add mushrooms and garlic and cook until soft, puree with stick blender until fairly smooth, add the stock, puree until very smooth (this stuff doesn't get totally smooth, but it gets smooth-adjacent) then add the cream, cook until reduced to where you like it, adjust seasonings and serve hot or refrigerate to use later. May separate somewhat on reheating in the microwave; whisking fixes this. May scorch with reheating in a pan, a double boiler and a whisk is best.
It makes not quite a gallon; it depends on how much water is in your mushrooms, and how much you cook it down during the thickening.


To get the dosed version, I finely chopped 125 grams of Casper mushrooms in the little food processor, and sauteed them in a few tablespoons of butter, then pulled them together with a little glug of cream. I had figured out that the amount of soup that would fill ten of the two-ounce ice-cube molds (these are the over-size ice cubes like you use for Whiskey Rocks glasses) was a quart - so I put the cooked cubes into a quart measuring cup, filled to the line with soup, and whizzed it with the stick blender until it was smooth and well-blended, then poured into portions and froze. Afterward, I froze them two to a little block. This yielded ten portions, each with 12.5 grams of wet mushroom, so two soup cubes is 25 grams - roughly equivalent to 2.5 grams dried. NOTE: Normally, when I've run albino cubes through the little food processor, they come out looking like chopped blue suede - kind of a Dutch blue. These Caspers came out nearly Navy blue. This... should have been my clue. They were STRONG. Two cubes of soup, which was a delicious and tasty light breakfast, was a VERY intense trip dose. There was a significant period during which I was unable to navigate reality enough to leave the bed. Darker blue = more strong.


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Duck Sells

Margarita de Loco