Melts in your Brain, But Also On Your Hands
I'm experimenting with making chocolates.
Chocolates were my first exposure to mushrooms; I was given mushroom chocolates very similar to these by a friend. I've experimented with making my own, and I won't say I'm good at them yet, but I'm no longer the sloppy mess I was when I started.
I begin by figuring out how much dosage I want in each one, and weighing out the mushroom. I like these little cups molds, because they're easy to work with, easy to wrap, and easy to handle. They're also easy to do math with. I know that one cup is a gram, or a half a gram, or whatever I put in them... and it's easy. I figured out that each cup of the mold is 2 teaspoons of volume, and then I figured out (with a little trial and error) that twenty cups, which is forty teaspoons, equals three quarters of a cup, plus a tablespoon and a teaspoon... because .833 cups is not a really useful amount when you're trying to measure. And then I used the cups and the scales, and I figured out that the amount to fill twenty cups, is approximately 245 grams of chocolate. THIS is the useful number! This, I can drop into a glass measuring cup on a tared scale until I get enough, and then microwave in bursts until it's properly smooth and melted. Because the mushroom powder is so fluffy, it basically just dissolves into the chocolate without adding much bulk.
I'm working with real simple melting chocolate; it's stuff that I buy in the bulk bins from a local grocery. It's pretty tasty, but it's not fancy. I'll get fancy, once I get my technique down. I'm learning on the cheap stuff.
I didn't get pictures of all the steps, partly because they're not really pretty, and partly because I was busy and my hands were full. I powdered the mushroom,(in this case, six grams to make twenty 0.3 gram cups) and then sifted the powder through a sieve to catch any bits that didn't powder nicely, then re-measured to make sure I hadn't lost too much in sifting, then mixed it into the melted chocolate. I found that warming the bowl helped keep things nice and fluid. I made sure it was very thoroughly mixed, to avoid getting any irregularities in the dose, or any gross chunks of dry mushroom hanging out waiting for the unsuspecting consumer.
I used a silicone spatula to scrape the chocolate-mushroom mixture into a quart Ziploc bag, and then snipped a tiny corner, and piped it into the molds. I tapped and shook the mold to get it nice and even, making sure that the chocolate is evenly distributed - this is important to ensure that each cup is a twentieth of the total batch, and thus a consistent dose.
They came out really crisp and sharp looking! I'm pleased with their pretty finish. Unfortunately, handling them to get them wrapped warms them up just enough that they lose some of that sharpness - I'm not sure whether the solution is just to work with them colder and quicker, or if it's just learning technique, or what. Like I said... learning. Like with all the stuff I'm doing, I recognize that these are, when it comes right down to it, a drug delivery system - but I want for them to be delicious and aesthetically pleasing as well.
Ideally, I want for these to be a thing I can take to events and share with friends. They're a very party-friendly way to consume mushrooms. You don't have to mix and measure; all the math is already done.
These little candy-wrapping foils are the perfect size, and I like the fact that they come in a multi-color pack - I use different colors for different amounts of mushroom. Blue ones are a gram each for a social dose; you can take two for a more therapeutic dose. They melt well into hot milk to make a delicious hot cocoa that will sit you on your ass. Purple ones are 0.3 grams for microdosing.
I store them in the refrigerator. They stay good for quite a while, although I haven't got an absolute shelf life on them. If you know what the mushroom tastes like, you can kind of tell that it's in there - but if you don't have a strong familiarity with that flavor, they just taste like chocolate, especially at the lower doses.





Comments
Post a Comment